Hello everybody! I hope you’re all well! I’m having a relaxed, lazy Sunday morning so I thought I’d share this cute tutorial with you just in case your hands are twitching and you want to get creating something today! I love to be organised for Christmas to avoid any mad rushes and to make sure I can relax with the family.
This simple bag can be hand or machine stitched, I’ve used a firm craft felt to make it sturdy.
Tip before we start: Use a 6mm [¼”] seam allowance.
Debbie Shore Snowman template
Two rectangle of red felt measuring 18cm x 20cm [7” x 8”]
Two rectangles of red felt measuring 5cm x 20cm [2” x 8”] for the sides
One rectangle of red felt measuring 5cm x 18cm [2” x 7”] for the base
For the handles, two pieces of red felt measuring 2cm x 20cm [3/4” x 8”]
Scraps of red, white, orange and black felt for the snowman appliqué
One button for the hat and four for the handles
Two googly eyes
Repositionable spray fabric adhesive
Erasable ink pen
Steps to create:
1. Draw through your template with an erasable ink pen, decide on how you’re going to dress your snowman and cut out the pieces.
2. Spray the back of each snowman piece with repositionable adhesive and, starting with the largest white piece, sew around the edge. I’ve used a hand running stitch, you could blanket stitch or use your machine.
3. Add the remaining pieces, I’ve glued the googly eyes to two circles of black felt, then glued on the eyes and buttons. Hand-sew a button to the bow on the hat.
4. Sew the two side panels wrong sides together to the front of the bag.
5. Sew the back of the bag in place to make a tube, then sew in the base, all wrong sides together.
6. Dot a little wet glue to the ends of the handles to hold them in place, then add the buttons to decorate.